Monday, April 14, 2014

Sicknesses...

Dear Family and Friends,

I would just like to inform everyone that I did that "P.S." last week because Elder Feil and Elder Westover thought it would be funny to give their mothers a shout-out. So I hope no one thought it was odd! But in all seriousness, thank you for reading my weekly emails. 

Anyway, this week was a pretty bad one for us because all the sicknesses that should've come earlier in my mission decided to come all at once for these past 5 days. A fever, pink eye, a nasal infection, strep throat, and the most painful headache I've ever had in my life. My poor companion has had to deal with me getting a lot of rest, and recovering for almost the entire week. However, we still got out and did what we could!
Elders Westover and Streletskii cuttin' down a tree in New Balti

On Tuesday we were in Chisinau for Zone Training Meeting all day, and Wednesday was spent doing some more service for a recent convert out in New Balti. The weather was beautiful, it was 75 degrees, and we did a lot of yard work. She had us prune trees, gather and throw away trash, plant plants, chop wood, and many other chores. The lunch break was interesting. We made a salad out of the plants she had in her garden and she made eggs on her old school stove which she had inside her home. She always likes to tell us when we finish up how she could never do this kind of work without our help. The lyrics to Have I Done Any Good? always pop into my mind at the end of each day when I kneel down and give a report to my Heavenly Father:
Elder Westover and Sister Valea startin' the fire in the old school stove

  • 1. Have I done any good in the world today?
    Have I helped anyone in need?
    Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
    If not, I have failed indeed.
    Has anyone's burden been lighter today
    Because I was willing to share?
    Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
    When they needed my help was I there?
  • (Chorus)
    Then wake up and do something more
    Than dream of your mansion above.
    Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
    A blessing of duty and love.
  • 2. There are chances for work all around just now,
    Opportunities right in our way.
    Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
    But go and do something today.
    'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
    Love's labor has merit alone.
    Only he who does something helps others to live.
    To God each good work will be known.
Doing good REALLY is a "joy beyond measure", and sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the greatest good we can do for those around us. It's good news that a surprisingly large number of people don't know about, so I hope that you can find someone you know (even if you live in Utah where almost everyone you know is Mormon) and share what the Gospel of Jesus Christ has done for you in your life.

And even though it was a week later, we got to watch General Conference with all the members on Saturday and Sunday. It was so nice to watch it at the normal times! My favorite talk was probably Elder Holland's talk. All the talks were very memorable, but his talk was the one that stood out to me the most. I also got to see Lindsay which was really cool! Hopefully next conference I can be there in person ;)

Anyway, I wish I had more to tell, but me being sick made it difficult to be out all week. Next week should have some pretty neat experiences though! Love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!


-Elder Farnworth


The salad we made for our lunch break

No comments:

Post a Comment