Monday, November 4, 2013

Still in Chisinau...

Hello family and friends!

English classes have officially started! We had a about 14 students show up and our class was in the smallest room, so Elder Hollist and I had to sit on tiny chairs in the middle of the room so we could fit everyone. It was pretty funny. We also love our class already. We have a great group of people and they are a lot of fun to talk to. 

We spent Halloween in Balti. I did an exchange with Elder Westover and it was like a mini reunion. It was good to be back with my "son" for a day and talk about all the experiences he's having in Balti (a city that I still hope to serve in). There's a woman up there getting ready to be baptized and she really loves having all the elders come over; so, all 6 of us decided to drop by! Elder Monroe wanted Elder Hollist and I to hide until they went inside and then knock on the door after about 2 minutes. So we did, and she looked out her window with a puzzled look on her face and right as she saw us she said, "There's more of you!?" And she just had this huge smile on her face and we couldn't help but smile too. We were all welcomed into her cozy home and throughout the course of the lesson she kept saying, "Ohhhhh my elders." Anyway, her son was murdered a while back and she's so good of a person that she forgave the one that killed her son. Now THAT is Christlike. I really admire her for doing that. She has also had a lot of her friends ask who is always visiting her and she simply says, "They are missionaries for THE Church of Jesus Christ." Right before we were about to leave she gave us rocks as reminders to always pray and believe. I've now got that rock sitting on my study desk back at our apartment. I am so glad that I got to meet this sincere, happy, loving, forgiving, funny, and humble woman. She'll be a great addition to the Balti branch and hopefully I'll get to see her baptism! Also, Elder Westover and I met a MORMON from St. George in a restaurant. He said the word, "stake" and it gave him away. It's a small world!

"не холодно?" About 8 different people asked Elder Hollist this question as we were walking to do service for the kindergarten piano lady, Maria, at her house. We have done SO MUCH SERVICE and it's been really great for us. We were able to give a Book of Mormon to this woman's daughter even though she said she was skeptical, but she ended up coming to church! Elder Hollist told me later in the same day that "If there's anything I have confidence in, it's the Book of Mormon." I agree 100%. While we were eating dinner with them Maria asked me, "Farnworth, why are you so serious?" I responded by saying, "Because you're all speaking Romanian!" So she switched into Russian from that time on and it made me laugh. Later in that same day, we were at this place called the American Resource Center and we had a kid ask us if we regret making the decision to go on a mission. We told him, "Absolutely not." Even though a lot of people think we're crazy for doing this, I would never trade these two years for anything. I'm doing this because it's true. I'm also doing this because I know Christ is the Savior of the world (and that includes Moldova) and these people need to know that.

Well. I thank you all for your continued support, love, and prayers on my behalf and I want you all to know that I love you and pray for you every single day. Hope the snow isn't making everyone too cold! But whether there's snow or no snow, have a great week anyway! 


-Elder Farnworth

No comments:

Post a Comment