Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Roller Coaster of Emotions


Wow. What a week this has been. I've had the highest highs, and the lowest lows. A mission is a rollercoaster of emotion, and let me tell you, it's not easy! But then I think, only 2 weeks, and 5 days left till I'm in a different country! Can't believe I've been here for 8 weeks (and after I leave, I will have been at the MTC for 1/8 of my mission. CRAZY.) Even though I feel like my Russian is horrible, I'm slowly improving. I haven't realized how far the MTC has taken me out of my comfort zone until now, but boy, am I sure grateful for it! In my personal study this week, I've been reading Alma. And after I finished reading Alma 26, I realized, "Wow. This is exactly how I feel my mission is going to be!" So I encourage all the soon-to-be missionaries to read that chapter before they enter the MTC.
 
So Ct. Grover and I went to the health clinic to get some things checked and as I was waiting for him, I noticed a little quote behind the front desk. It went something like this, "Missionary (noun) - Someone who leaves their family for a short time so that others may be with their families for eternity." Sometimes two years seems like a long time to be away from everything, but then I remember that I'm not here for myself, I'm here for the people that I am going to teach, and help them change their lives for the better. After I read that, I was so overwhelmed. It's times like that when I am reminded of how grateful I should be for this call to be a missionary.
 
Okay, to be honest, my new teacher makes us all feel like idiots. For the past 7 weeks, we haven't been filling out our area book... Because none of our teachers told us HOW to.... and he noticed and pretty much "cried" repentance unto us like prophets did in the Book of Mormon... We are now filling out the area book in hopes that he won't make us feel like idiots again! Oh yeah, he also likes to "sleep" during our lessons, which also makes us feel like bad teachers. It's all a part of the experience, right?

Well, I'm running out of time and... I get my travel plans next week!!! Also, Dad, I hope you had a great birthday and I hope you liked my card! I look forward to the phone call home from the airport and I'll have many stories to tell. Hope life, school, and work are all great and that you remember to "pray every day, read your scriptures often, and go to church every Sunday!" I love you all!
 
-Elder Farnworth
 
P.S. I'll do better with responding to letters! There's not as much time as I'd like on P-days.

No comments:

Post a Comment