Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Moldova Week #2


Here I am, once again, at the internet cafe! I can't believe that two weeks ago, I talked to you on the phone at the airport. Time STILL flies by! I'm sorry that my email didn't get sent to you, apparently I tried sending too many pictures. Anyway, I've finally recovered from the jet lag and culture shock, and I'm loving minute of my mission! 
So this past week, I've been called a Jehovah's Witness and a Baptist. Apparently those religious groups have 19 year old young men walking around with nametags on too! And instead of homeless people, they have homeless dogs (and LOTS of them). I've seen a lot of interesting things/people in the two weeks I've been here... The weather has been great until last Monday. Ever since then, it's been REALLY cold, and It's been raining non-stop since Saturday too. Everyone speaks insanely fast. I'm kind of getting used to it and undesterstanding them a lot better, but it's seriously like they're mumbling! 

The church is very small in Moldova (Just so everyone knows, they speak Russian AND Romanian here. Two completely different cultures in one city). I had my first sacrament meeting just yesterday, and only 10 of the "150" members showed up. So the missionaries almost made up HALF of the congregation. Also, since it was my first Sunday, the zone leaders strongly encouraged me to bear my testimony... So I did... And it went pretty well! As for our investigators, we have about 5. Eugene is still meeting with us, and we've had a lot of lessons with him. In one of our lessons last week, we extended a baptismal date to him... He said he didn't know, pulled out his cross (which I had NO idea he had), and said he had already been baptized... So we told him about the Priesthood, and to pray about it. So tonight we will find out if he's received his answer. We also found a new investigator through our English class that we teach every Tuesday and Saturday. We had been praying for at least one of our students to talk to us after our lessons, and so, on Tuesday last week, after we finished our lesson a girl named Elizabeth came up to us and asked us what we do as missionaries! It was a miracle! We talked a little about what we believe, she said she doesn't believe in God but she believes in a "higher power"... So we gave her a Book of Mormon and told her to read it. 


Even though I'm not having much success right now, I'm working as hard as I can to learn the language and find people to teach. My companionship with Ct. Smith is going very well! We learn a lot from each other every day, and he's helping me a lot with the language and how everything "works" around here. I also haven't missed one day of journal writing! Thanks for giving me that goal Dad, and I bet you'd be delighted to know that I even got my companion to start writing in his journal again ;)




I am definitely seeing the blessings that come from working hard every day, and being exactly obedient. Without being set apart, I don't know how I'd be able to be a representative of Christ. This really is a special call from God to serve a mission. I'm as happy as I've ever been right now, and I know it's because I'm giving my all to this work! Please keep me updated on anything exciting that happens back at home. I love you all, and I think of you often.

-Elder Farnworth

When you want to send packages, you have to send them to the mission office, which should be the address in my mission call packet (and Facebook).

My favorite scripture (right now) would probably be... Hebrews 12:6-11. It has a "swear word" in it, but the docterine is what's most important! ;)

P.S. Go Jazz! Thanks for the article, I really enjoyed reading it. Two years from now, I'll be watching those games again, but in the meantime I have souls to save!

For whom the Lord loveth he achasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
 If ye aendure bchastening, God dealeth with you as with csons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
 Furthermore we have had afathers of our flesh which bcorrectedus, and we gave them creverence: shall we not much rather be indsubjection unto the eFather of fspirits, and live?
 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of hisaholiness.
 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the apeaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are bexercised thereby.

No comments:

Post a Comment