Monday, October 29, 2012

"Get comfortable with the uncomfortable"




 I always look forward to this day of the week! Sometimes it's really hard to be away from my comfortable lifestyle back at home for so long, but a mission is an opportunity of a lifetime to pave the way for the rest of my life. 1 Corinthians 13:11 does a good job of explaining what a mission does to us 19 year olds! 
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 

For the past three months I have been trying so hard to work on my patience... Patience to pick apart, understand, then respond to Russian, patience with my poor teaching skills, patience to accept Heavenly Father's time frame, and patience to work on patience. It's quite the process, and it takes a long time. I thought I was a pretty patient person... until I got here! I'm very disappointed in my effort to practice the language as much as possible though. My companion is very quiet (very good at Russian), a lot of people speak English here, but I have to work much harder or else I'm not going to learn the language. A MISSION IS HARD WORK. 

"Get comfortable with the uncomfortable". Brother Hollingshead, one of my language teachers in the MTC, said these wise words, and it's something I got to experience this past Thursday. I was on an exchange with Ct. Монро and as we were walking back to his apartment Wednesday night, he told me that we were going to go knocking! So we found two apartment complexes, and worked our way from the top to the bottom... I was very uncomfortable... We would switch off talking to people (when they would actually open their doors), but all of them would say either, "мне не нужны!" or "Я не хочу!" We did, however, give one guy a Book of Mormon and got a number from the last door we knocked. It sure is hard to find people here, but like I said, I'm working on being patient! 

So a typical day of eating for me is: breakfast - sugarless cereal with water, lunch - going out to eat (usually a restaurant because our apartment is way far away), and dinner - usually depends on what we feel like because we aren't the best cooks, and there's not much to choose from at the grocery stores besides potatoes! The members out here don't invite us to dinner because they don't have enough money, and they encourage us to make our own meals. Which is great, but I haven't really been able to experience Moldovan food because of it... The juice, fruit, and bakeries here are WAY good though. Apparently, Moldova has the richest soil in the world, so anything that comes out of the ground is delicious! 

Well. Ct. Smith and I are still working hard to find people and make it so we "leave the area better than we found it"! There's a lot of work to be done, but we're ready for it. I hope the pictures are good enough! I really like the one with "Jazz hotel", and I bet you can guess why ;) Love you all and as life goes on back at home, missionary work goes on here in Moldova.

-Elder Farnworth (Tell Connie I found a white feather in my hair last week, she'll know what I mean! ...Tell her that there are also no birds with white feathers here.)

P.S. I have no idea what I would want in a care package... Peanut butter would be great! Root beer extract... Ummmm can't really think of anything else right now... Just whatever you think would be good. I love you Dad and I'm glad I'm your son. I don't know how I'd be able to make it without all your support and love. Hope all that golfing was great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment