Monday, June 3, 2013

Back with Elder Monroe

Well. Saturday night, Elder Monroe (the zone leader for Moldova) called me and told me, "Hey Elder Farnworth, guess who your new companion is? ME!" So that means him and I will be zone leaders together for a while! It was really sudden, but that's normal for us Russian missionaries. It's great to be back with an elder I grew a lot with, and we both look forward to the work ahead of us. 



Ever since I've been here though, we've had baptismal dates set by a lot of investigators, but none of them have gone through... But I have some really good news for ya'll.... one of the sisters.... from our English class.... Is 100% commited and ready.... for her baptism on the 8th of June!!!! She chose Elder Monroe to baptize her, and me to confirm her. What a priveledge it is for me to be able to give her the gift of the Holy Ghost, and to be a part of one of the most important decisions she'll ever make in her life. This will be the first baptism the Chisinau branch has had since last July; the members, and the missionaries are very excited for her! She'll be an amazing member, and a big help to the missionary work here. I'm sad to leave Elder Garlick, but his experience will really help Elder Hammer grow in his missionary work. I'm also sad to leave Дима because he's such a happy kid to be around, and he also expressed his desire to be baptized. One night we were walking him back to his home to get permission from his Dad to go to EFY, and he said, "I'm a member of your church, right?" We simply answered, "No, not yet." He seemed disappointed by our answer but continued to say, "Well how can I be?" That's a great question! "Baptism." He seemed to really ponder how he can get to that point, but that's why we're here! To help him get to that point, and to help him understand that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we all can change.

During personal study one day last week, I was reading in Our Search for Happiness (if you haven't read this, READ IT!) and I came across the quote we all know from Joseph Smith, "Why persecute me for telling the truth?" I think that's a big question all missionaries/members have. This was apparent to me as I was up in Balti (for the first time) and we had a lesson with a guy who kept telling us that he doesn't agree with our beliefs and how his faith is just in the Bible, but I told him, "No, your faith should be in Jesus Christ, not a book. The Bible is an instrument to build your faith." And these scriptures always pop into my mind when I'm teaching people about the restoration: 3 Nephi 27: 8-11

 8 And how be it amy bchurch save it be called in my name? For if a church be called in Moses’ name then it be Moses’ church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church, if it so be that they are built upon my gospel.

 9 Verily I say unto you, that ye are built upon my gospel; therefore ye shall call whatsoever things ye do call, in my name; therefore if ye call upon the Father, for the church, if it be in my name the Father will hear you;

 10 And if it so be that the church is built upon my gospel then will the Father show forth his own works in it.

 11 But if it be not built upon my gospel, and is built upon the works of men, or upon the works of the devil, verily I say unto you they have joy in their works for a season, and by and by the end cometh, and they are ahewn down and cast into the bfire, from whence there is no return.


This IS the Church of Jesus Christ, and it IS built upon His gospel. Nothing anyone says will ever hurt my testimony of our message. "It's true, isn't it? Then what else matters?" - Neil L. Andersen. I love missionary work. I love how much it has MADE me grow. I love the companions I've had, and I look forward with faith to the many miracles ahead. Jesus Christ is my Savior, and your Savior. His church has been restored, and it's the only true church on earth today and for eternity. I love every single one of you, and I hope you have a wonderful week!

-Elder Farnworth


No comments:

Post a Comment