Monday, November 19, 2012

Elder Fahrenheit





 I've been in Moldova for two months now, and the lessons I've learned (and will continue to learn) never cease to amaze me. Heavenly Father really does know where us 19 year old young men need to serve in order to change the lives of many, and at the same time, change our own lives. It really is a blessing in disguise. In that talk that Johnny Harris gave me it explains it perfectly, "Don't you see? Only when you lose yourself in the work, can you find yourself." I'm paraphrasing this of course because I don't have the talk with me, but the message is basically that when we give ourselves FULLY to the Lord, He can transform us into what He wants us to become. "Это не важно, откуда, но куда." (I know you'll be putting it into Google Translate, but it doesn't translate it correctly! It means that it doesn't matter where we came from, but where we are headed. Food for thought.)

EXCITING NEWS! President Hill came up to Chisinau this weekend and announced that in 6 months, we should be DOUBLING the amount of missionaries here! Guess what that means? I get to be a trainer! 6 months is far away, but in the meantime I have to get a lot better at speaking Russian, но всё хорошо! I'm really learning a lot and like you've said Dad, this life is slowly becoming more and more normal every day.

Thanks for highlighting your questions in your email, so here are my answers!

What do I eat the most of? Pizza. I've never eaten so much pizza in my life, and It's mostly because almost every restaurant here is a pizza restaurant.

What is the currency here? It's called Lei. It's feels like toilet paper, really small, and the coin is called Bon.

What are some of my monthly expenses? Every month we get about 3380 Lei (we all have cards, that's how they get the money to us): I pay for bus passes, marshutka's, food, toiletries, and that's basically it!

The Elder Fahrenheit story? So we have FHE every Monday night after P-day is over, and one night, we had to do a role play of welcoming investigators at church. So Sister Modsolewska (she's Polish, and we struggle saying each others names) SO, she was in my group and she turned to me saying, "You're the investigator Elder Fahrenheit!" And we all just busted out in laughter... So ever since then, that's been my nickname!
 
We all keep joking that the world really is going to end because Obama got re-elected, but we're praying for our country either way! That's so exciting that Erica got her mission call though! I had no idea Janae was planning on going on a mission either, but that's what every mission needs: more sister missionaries!

I still haven't received the care package, but hopefully it will be in Bucharesti when I go down there for mission conference on Wednesday. That reminds me, can you tell Grandma and Grandpa Perkes (and Grandma Farnworth) to send me their email addresses? Because I would like to email them and respond to their letters. 

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I wish I could be there, but instead, I'll be on a 12 hour train ride to mission conference in Romania. I think of all of you often and hope each and every one of you are doing good things always! Be happy, and remember that happiness comes from living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. "...be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

I love you all, and have a fantastic Thanksgiving week!
 
-Elder Farnworth 

Scripture of the week: Alma 29:9

 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do anot bglory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment