Monday, March 4, 2013

"There is no such thing as a hard mission!" - Elder Jiles

I had a LOT of cool experiences this week. Most of them came about because of the goal-setting Elder Monroe and I have been doing. First of all, the weather has been BEAUTIFUL this week, and it's helped a lot with our street contacting because people are in a better mood, and the sun makes EVERYONE happy. One particular experience was when we handed an older lady a Mormon.org card, and the first thing she asked was if we spoke English. Of course! She continued by saying how grateful she is for us and the hope we bring to the Moldovan people. It really touched my heart because earlier that week, we watched the new Mormon Message "Mountains to Climb" and it pretty much conveyed the same message: "Many of you are now passing through physical, mental, and emotional trials that could cause you to cry out..." We are showing people that through these trials, they can find that joy and comfort through the gospel of Jesus Christ instead of feeling lost and afraid. Oh yeah! Fasting works everybody! As I'm sure you already know. But there was a daughter of one of the Bromanians investigators that was quarantined because of how sick she was, and so they asked the whole district to fast. We did, and right as we ended our fast we got a phone call from one of the Romanian elders telling us that everything is prefectly fine with her now. This really helped me to strenghten my testimony in the power of fasting and the faith of those who fast.


 My companions birthday was this week, so we had a surprise birthday party for him! He had NO idea. I think that's the first time in my life where I didn't ruin a surprise ;) He's 24 now. FIVE years older than me! Remember how I talked about how frustrating Russian is? Well. We decided to speak Russian ALL day, and it has helped a TON. I feel so much more comfortable speaking and understanding. It's still frustrating at times, but practice makes perfect! We also have this recent convert named Маша and she is quite a handful! But she decided that she wants to serve a mission... and she was baptized in September! So to kind of help her understand the steps she has to take to be prepared, we took her to a members house where they both served missions. The husband got out his journals and said, "THIS is my mission. Everything I did, everyone I talked to, everyone I served with, my ENTIRE mission is written on these pages." They also told her about all the blessings that come from serving a mission. She really loved it, and she's even more excited to serve now. 


  Last P-day we had the opportunity to go to a violin recital of the little girl that was baptized 3 months ago, and it reminded me of all the times when I had piano recitals in my younger days. Her face lit up and she had a big smile when all the missionaries walked into the room. It brought me back to the days when all of you would come to my piano recitals and how good it made me feel to know that I have support from my family. It also made me think about how grateful I am to Sister Fisher for teaching me how to play piano better, so thank you Sister Fisher! It comes in handy when I need to play for meetings :) February 28th has passed, and tomorrow is March 5th... I've been thinking a lot about Porter and his example and frienship to me lately. It's tough to have those good memories rush back into my mind of loved ones that have passed on. It wasn't easy having Mom's death date and Porter's so close together, but Heavenly Father always promises His comfort.


Well. I hope this was enough! It's tough to put EVERYTHING in, but that's why I have a memory and a journal too! We are still working with some investigators, but we're also still working on finding. As always, I can feel your love and support every single day. Thank you for your prayers, and letters. I love you, I pray for you, and I hope you all have a great week!


-Elder Farnworth

No comments:

Post a Comment